Saturday, October 26, 2013

Used and Treasured




You know how some stories and memories become even more endearing over time? I believe this is the case with many quilts too.

No, this isn't a quilt I've just secretly whipped up, but one which is two years old now. Some of my early readers may remember me sharing this story back in 2011. Here's the shortened and updated version.

Six months after teaching myself to quilt I bravely ordered some fabric from the US - oh the wonderful range of fabrics to choose from and prices less than half what we have to pay "Down Under" in Australia. As soon as I saw the American Retro blue floral I thought of my Mother-in-Love. After much searching of the internet I settled on the Ohio Star block, fussy cutting the centres to make the most of the print. I ordered more fabric - enough for the back in the lovely blue print and a little in both of the other colours available.








I stippled the bulk of the quilt, hand quilted the interior of each block and machine stitched the outer border in widely spaced diagonals.









I made a card to match and unexpectedly gifted it to her on Father's Day 2011 (the first Sunday in September in Australia). I couldn't bear to keep it hidden away when she could be enjoying it!

Don't you love it when a handmade gift is used and treasured. For a while it seemed she hardly used this quilt except to show it to others. I was delighted to find that it is one of the few things she chose to bring with her in her move to the local aged care facility this year. It lays proudly on her bed. In fact, the staff often make her bed and spread the quilt back side upper on her bed for the backing is so beautiful and bright.

 This quilt, along with the Scrapbooks and photo books I have made for her over the years (and my late Father-in-Love) are some of her most treasured possessions - which blesses me so much.


Sharing at the Blogger's Quilt Festival: Bed Quilts.



31 comments:

Joyful said...

What a beautiful, and practical gift for your MIL. I can see why she treasures it.

Susan said...

It is a treasure, Karen! I love the Ohio Star pattern and the floral is the perfect fabric for it! Lovely!

Giga said...

In this lovely gift Mom will be very pleased. It has a piece of your home at home. Yours.

audrey said...

What a wonderful story! Beautiful quilt. Such lovely colors.

Joop Zand said...

Lovely shot Karen....nice quilt.

Greetings, Joop

Charlotte said...

it's beautiful, and clearly loved! Enjoy the festival :-)

Carole M. said...

your quilt is very beautiful; I love the colours you have chosen with lots of white background, and the stippling really anchors it. A treasured gift.

chica said...

Teus trabalhos são obras de arte e que lindo ver a família reunida!! beijos,tudo de bom,chica

Fun60 said...

It is so heart warming when you gift something that is so treasured.

Rachel said...

This is lovely. I love the texture of stippled quilts.

Unknown said...

What a lovely carpet.
Greetings
JetteMajken

May Ann Francisco said...

They were beautifully created!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful quilt. I am sure she will treasure it always.

Hugs~

Marilyn said...

Such a beautiful quilt, it would brighten her room so much. Such a lovely story with it too.

Our photos said...

Beautiful Quilt!
Greetings, RW & SK

Katy Cameron said...

It's lovely when such things are treasured :o)

I made quilts for both my grandmothers, the first was described as a lap quilt, but turned out to be far too big for actually using on your lap (well it was my first quilt, I did't know!) so she popped it on her spare bed where it still lives, never actually used.

For the one for my other grandmother, I made it a bit smaller to actually be a lap quilt, and she promptly used it on her bed until the day she died about 10 months after she received it. No accounting for what people will do really!

amanda said...

Such a beautiful quilt, Karen! Your taste in colors & prints is lovely & artful.
I agree, what's even more wonderful is to see these handmade treasures being used by those they're made for.
I have some beautifully embroidered dishtowels from my mom that I was afraid to use because they're so fine with beautiful birds stitched onto them. But having them sit safely in a drawer is doing them no justice at all!

Olivier Bailleux said...

Magnifiques réalisations !

Nancy said...

You can just tell that she is opening it with such care and love....I know it means the world to her and that you hold a special place in her heart for this selfless act of love....By the way, the quilt is beautiful...

Julie said...

What a beautiful quilt - I love the florals you used - so bright and cheerful and summery. I made my Gran a lap quilt last year with fabrics which reminded me of her rose garden Sadly she only got to use it for a couple of months, but I know she loved using it and telling people her grand daughter made it.

Joy said...

So thoughtful of you and what a wonderful gifts.

Pieni Lintu said...

That's so pretty!!

Kim said...

Such a lovely story that surrounds this beautiful treasure, Karen. It seems to me that 'your' quilt is giving so many who gaze upon it, much joy!!

CitricSugar said...

Beautiful! I love the mix of machine and hand quilting.

Lynette said...

I absolutely love this quilt even before knowing its poignant story. It's beautiful, and the combination of machine and hand quilting really adds to it.

Liz said...

What a wonderful gift!
I do remember this story from way back then. You are such a blessing to those you love and so many more.
I continue to marvel at your incredible creativity. I do wish I could finish something like this but my hands are becoming much worse.

Rena said...

That is truly beautiful. What a blessing to give this to your MIL, what joy she must have in having you for a DIL!

Michelle Bartholomew said...

Such a lovely gift! Love those stars.

Anita Johnson said...

You are an inspiration, this might just have to be the winter of the quilt for me!

Loris Glassworks said...

What a wonderful gift; I have one that my Grandmother made for me about 40 years ago, I still use it every winter. It's starting to show it's age, but I can't retire it; I would be lost without it. My husband says it's my comfort blankie...I think he's right.
Cheers!
Lori in Atlanta
USA

Elise Lea said...

Such love goes into each of your quilts and I can see why they are so dearly treasured by those who receive them. I especially love those fussy cut centers and the quilting...incredible. Thanks for sharing this again for those who are a little newer to your blog :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...